We hope that this page will provide you with information for running a successful NDCXL event.
Constitution and Rules – The NDCXL Constitution and Rules (pdf).
The majority of age categories can be found in section 5 of the British Cycling Cyclo-cross Rules or as a separate pdf document – link. HOWEVER – note that the NDCXL Under 9 (NOT Under 10) category.
SRAM NDCXL Event organisers notes – You need to use these notes in conjunction with British Cycling’s (BC) document “CYCLO-CROSS ORGANISER’S WORKBOOK” (pdf).
There is a wealth of information available to an event organiser on the BC website – here.
If possible attend an event organisers meeting – there is tons of valuable information there.
If you’re a first time organiser buddy with another organiser – work with another club in the setting up of their event in order to better understand what will be required of you.
With all three of these under your belt you should be pretty much ready to go, however, there are a few things that are either not covered in the workbook, or that are easy to miss, here we go:
- Event date fixing takes place at the League’s AGM, with completed Event Registration forms – here (pdf) going forward to the East Midlands Cyclo-cross Association (EMCCA) for approval/submission to the BC calendar.
- You need to make arrangement to receive the crates containing race numbers, sponsors banners, age category sheet, entry fees sheet, carbon paper, etc from the preceding race organiser.
- Russell Cox will bring the main event signing on sheets on the day of the event. These sheets are for senior riders No’s 1 – 100, pre-allocated based on previous season’s results. After event 1 these riders will most likely bring their number with them.
- You need to provide additional signing on sheets – here (pdf). You probably need around 14 and a couple spare, this should allow for the top and carbon copies.
- The League owns 80+ posts; if you wish to borrow them please contact Harry Gould.
- The East Midlands region owns a multitude of resources for organisers of races – for details please contact British Cycling’s Karen Lifford on 07860 404834.
- As a League we are lucky enough to have a title sponsor – SRAM. It is vitally important that we work to satisfy their needs and those of any sponsors of your race (though expressly NOT Shimano or Campagnolo). This means:
- Use the SRAM shelters (large Ezee-up for signing on and smaller Ezee-up for judging) and ensure that they are correctly erected – these are transported by Mick Gascoigne.
- Use SRAM tape for course marking; it is distributed at the organisers/committee meeting. Where additional tape is required use it away from the Start/Finish areas, away from signification elements of your course and if possible non-branded.
- Use the SRAM banners in the Start/Finish area of the course.
In result reporting please try to ensure that SRAM is mentioned.
- You need to make contact with a member of the judging team to ensure that they can cover your event - Pauline Taylor (Judges Co-ordinator), Val Taylor, Christine Willett, Mac Lambert Jnr and Mac Lambert Snr.
- You need to make contact with the League timekeeper Russell Cox to ensure that he can cover your event.
- You need to make contact with your Commissaires in advance of your event to discuss the course, risk assessment and any safety issues. If you’re not sure who your Commissaires are please contact the League Commissaire Co-ordinator John Holmes.
Commissaire’s report form – here (pdf).
- If at all possible make the finish area accessible to a vehicle. If this is not possible please inform Russell Cox and Mick Gascoigne.
- Russell Cox has the EMCCA podium which is available for use, particularly at Category A or B events, where a podium will be required.
- Ensure that you use the League’s levy form – here (pdf), when calculating your event levies – the BC form doesn’t mention the EMCCA levy that you have to pay.
- You need to take a look at the BC cyclo-cross rule 14 to ensure that your plan for allocating prizes.
- You will need to pay your race officials – this will include the Commissaire(s), judges and timekeeper.
- Caterers number – Dave and Rachel of Courtyard Catering on 07951 497355.
- Cycling products stall – David Jack, mobile 07989 389159 – David usually makes a small contribution to goody bags and prize funds by way of vouchers.
Finally – if in doubt ask! There is of course a wealth of knowledge out amongst the league members – try the Forum for advice and/or support.